It was named “Xenios Tower” by a descendant of the family, Polyxenos (Xenio) Palamedis, Secretary of the Dimitsana County Court, who later inherited it.
This mansion was unrealistic for its era. It has a height of 18 meters (as well as a current six-storey apartment building). The thickness of its walls is 1,40m on the ground floor while the top floor is 0,80m. There was a special room for the animals (barn) while all the houses of the time housed the animals on their ground floor. It has 5 floors and 520 sq.m. while the usual houses of this era were two-storeyed or three-storeyed (with the slope of the ground) and had an area of 50-120 sq.m. Even the larger mansions of the time never exceeded the 4 floors and the 250sq.m.
Koukouzis, who lived in Patras and traded mainly raisins, traveled all over Europe and saw the large buildings of the European capitals, and he wanted to build a similar building in his homeland.
There are many legends about the construction of the huge building for that time. It is said that “burned 40 kilns of lime – each furnace was 600 cubits” for this mansion while for the usual houses “burned” 2-3 kilns. They also say that they “shed 250 mules” than those carrying the stones and other materials. The “craftsmen were so many who ate a ox every day”!
Eventually, his dream was completed in 1850 or 1851, as evidenced by the carved lintel in the gates and by the forged signs on the iron rails of the balconies.
The building enjoyed great glory in the 19th century, as its wealthy owners often gave dinners and receptions to the aristocratic lords and merchants of that era. Indeed, when King George I visited the area in the early 20th century, this house was hosted.
Kostas Koukouzis had no descendants and so the building passed to several heirs, including Polyxenos Palamedis (Xenios) at the beginning of the 2nd century. Prior to World War II, the building was abandoned and was used as a shelter by many "guerrillas" during the guerrilla war period. It was then used as a home and doctor's office by the legendary doctor of Dimitsana Vasiliou Kioussi until mid-1970s, when it was abandoned again. Following the actions of the Dimitsani Brotherhood, the building was donated to the Brotherhood by today's heirs residing in Belgium. In 1996, the EOT requested the building from the Dimitsani Brotherhood to convert it into a guesthouse and exploit it for 10 years.
Restoration work proved time consuming and complicated as the listed building had to keep its old character and architectural elements intact. As soon as the Department of Modern Monuments of the Ministry of Culture is allowed to construct the basically necessary bathrooms and central heating!
Restoration of the painting of the ceilings and interior walls was made by special craftsmen and hagiographers. For the masonry to be secured, thousands of cement injections had to be made in its huge dimensional walls. Thus, the restoration work lasted more than 6 years, until 2002, when the Dimitsani Brotherhood asked the EOT not to exercise its right of use for the next 4 years, as it was entitled, and to reassign it again in order she can "exploit" her, but always as a guesthouse.
Today, fully renovated, it functions as a very special luxury guesthouse in Dimitsana.
See reviews of our guest house.